Conference Premier play is well underway for the season, with each club having played 16 matches to date. There’s quite a long way to go, and many matches to come, but we’ve now seen enough play to have a strong idea of how the standings are looking, and which teams seem poised to compete for the title in 2014. Here is a quick look at the top of the standings:
- Cambridge United – With an outstanding 11-5-0 record and 38 points to date, Cambridge United is beginning to separate itself from the pack. The club has also amassed a flawless record in home matches, at 8-0-0, and with upcoming fixtures against middling Southport and Macclesfield Town, should stay on top.
- Kidderminster Harriers – At 10-2-4, Kidderminster are keeping pace with Cambridge, with 32 points. Unfortunately, the two clubs won’t play until early February, so if they stay atop the standings it will be a while yet before they settle things directly.
- Luton Town – Luton’s 8-6-2 record is good for 30 points thus far, and while the club may not have amassed the glossy double-digit wins of Cambridge or Kidderminster just yet, it has been right there in every match it’s played. Luton will get back to action against a curious Gateshead club with a somewhat odd 8-1-7 record.
- Braintree Town – With an 8-4-4 record, Braintree are sitting at 28 points and will need to begin making up ground to keep pace. A trip to Tamworth on November 2 and to bottom-dwelling Aldershot Town on November 9 make for a good opportunity to notch 6 points before a crucial home fixture with Luton on November 12.
- Grimsby Town – 8-3-5, for 27 points, Grimsby is right behind Braintree, which is easy motivation to stay among the contenders. The club won’t face anybody higher than itself in the standings until a December 20 match against Kidderminster.
So that’s the top of the standings to date. But for a clearer look at where these clubs are expected to go, and who else might contend, we can check Betfair’s football betting section for the latest tips and odds on Conference Premier play. At this sports betting site, the Premier is featured with each club getting up-to-date fixed odds to come out on top at season’s end. Here’s how the top 5 shape up as far as these betting odds are concerned.
- Cambridge United – 6/5 fixed odds.
- Kidderminster – 11/4 fixed odds.
- Luton – 4/1 fixed odds.
- Grimsby – 12/1 fixed odds.
- Barnet – 25/1 fixed odds.
Essentially, these odds are in line with the standings, with the exception that Braintree is expected to drop off, with Barnet grabbing a top-5 spot. Barnet are 6-7-3 (25 points) thus far, and as such are not far out of the picture. At any rate, these appear to be the clubs to keep an eye on moving forward in Conference Premier play!